According to the CDC, the average American spends 90% of their time indoors where the average number of air contaminants can be 2-5 times higher than outside. A dry environment caused by a lack of humidity can also cause a number of negative effects on your health from dry throats to more major issues involving viruses like Covid-19.
Previously you need to purchase two appliances, an air purifier to deal with cleaning the air of pollutants and a humidifier to increase the level of humidity.
As of 2022, there is now a new gadget available, the air purifier and humidifier combo which can clean air and humidify the air all in one unit.
How do you choose the right air purifier and humidifier combo?
The best purifiers contain true HEPA filters and activated charcoal as these are filter technologies that have been shown again and again in peer-reviewed papers to be effective at cleaning the air. These capture the greatest number of harmful airborne particles, reducing the growth of bacteria and the spread of toxins. And while there are different types of humidifiers on the market, an evaporative unit is most effective when used in conjunction with a purifier.
When picking out our top choices, we also looked at special features like:
- Low noise levels
- Easily refillable
- Touchscreen controls
- Wireless technology
As with any home appliance you will also need to consider:
- Your budget
- The size of your room (large filters are needed for larger rooms)
- The type of filters it uses and long term electricity costs
- How much your home is affected by humidity and pollutants
Finding the right unit to fit your specifications can be overwhelming. Our list is compiled of air purifier and humidifier combos for a variety of needs, budgets, and different sizes of rooms. We evaluated data from Consumer Reports (USA), Which (UK) as well as using manufacture data and consumer analysis to choose what we think are the very best air purifier and humidifier combos as of 2022.
What is the best air purifier and humidifier combo in 2022?
1. Dyson Pure PH03
Dyson is a big name in household cleaning products. They revolutionized the vacuum cleaner and have recently stepped into the air purification and humidifier game. The PH03 is their third offering in their purifier-humidifier combo range and is the best combination unit on the market but it doesn’t come cheap. In true Dyson style, they have gone for a modernistic approach to design and functionality and a large price tag!
Dyson also has a PH04 that is a similar unit but with special filters for dealing with formaldehyde for an extra $100.
This 3-in-1 unit also features a fan to project the fresh, moist air backward and forwards with up to 90-degree oscillation for maximum airflow. It has smart sensors that will monitor air quality, temperature, and humidity levels, sending the information to the Dyson link app on your smartphone.
Be sure to also check out our review of the Dyson HP04 as it’s this unit but with a heater as instead of a humidifier.
The Dyson Pure PH03 Specifications
- It uses a combination of activated carbon and HEPA filter for purification
- Has a deep clean function to avoid bacteria and mineral buildup in the water tank
- It will provide enough water in the tank for 36 hours of hygienic humudification without refilling.
- The filter has a life of 4382 hours (6 months) after which will need changing
- On its highest setting, the PH03 can reach 55dB
- It has a 1-gallon tank capacity for humidification
What we love:
- It can be voice-controlled using Amazon Alexa and Apple Siri
- It has a sleep timer and night mode
- The LCD screen shows air quality levels and is easy to read
- It has a deep clean cycle
We don’t like this as much:
- The filters cost around $80 every 6 months
- $900 for one unit is a lot to ask for air purifier performance that you can get with a far cheaper unit.
You can currently buy this unit from Dyson.com.
2. Sharp KC-850U
The KC-850U is the flagship of Sharp’s purifier-humidifier combo line and falls under the mid-range category. It has a bright display on the front which will inform you of the quality of the air, the humidity, and the remaining water level. On top is the control panel where every button is clearly labeled and accompanied by an LED.
The KC-850U can be easily moved between rooms weighing 21.4 lbs (without a full water tank). As well as the filters, it has what Sharp calls a Plasmacluster. This is a kind of ionizer that pulls apart airborne pollutants. Used in the right-sized room, this unit performs great as both a purifier and a humidifier.
Sharp KC-850U Specifications
- It uses an activated carbon filter to reduce odors, a True HEPA filter for small particles, as well as the Plasmacluster
- Works best in rooms up to 254 sq. ft
- Sharp claim that the filters will last up to 5 years
- It can be as quiet as 19 dB on low speeds and as high as 60 dB when both purifier and humidifier are running on full
- Running both features, 8 hours a day, will cost around $30 a year
- The humidity tank holds 1 gallon of water
What we love:
- It has smart sensors that detect and react to unhealthy air conditions
- As well as the illuminated dust monitor, it displays a numerical humidity level
- There are four handles for ease of transport
- The lights on the front panel can be dimmed
We don’t like this as much:
- There is no remote or smartphone app
- The intake air grill is on the back, not ideal for using up against a wall
- Effective up to 1,230 sq. ft. at one air change/hour the KC850U will filter the air per AHAM Suggested Room Size of 254 sq ft. at 4.8 air changes/hour
- Recommended for Medium-Sized Rooms
- Plasmacluster Ion Technology, 7000 Series
- True HEPA Filter Captures 99.97% of Particles from the Air that Passes Through the Filter 0.3 Microns and Larger
- Activated Carbon Filter Designed to Help Reduce Some Common Household Odors
3. Medify MA-440
If you’ve read our previous articles on cigarette smoke, you may already recognize the brand Medify. They throw their experienced hat into the combo ring with the MA-440. In our opinion, this unit looks great in the home, has no bright lights, and comes from one of the top names in air purification.
If features are your bag, the MA-440 is a full-blown spa experience. You can choose between 16 different relaxing sounds including ocean noises, pink noise, and night sounds. It also has a scent tray where you can add essential oils to provide a nice smell to the air. If that wasn’t enough, you can control everything from a 7-inch, touch screen interface which you can use from anywhere in the house.
Medify MA-440 Specifications
- It has a 4-stage filtration system. Pre-filter, medical-grade H13 True HEPA filter, activated carbon filter, and ionizer
- It can cover an area of 600 sq. ft but work at its most potential at 350 sq. ft
- The filters can last up to 3000 hours
- On its highest setting, the noise can get up to 55 dB
- The power consumption is clocked at 120W, so if you’re running it 8 hours a day it will cost around $40 a year
- Comes with a 1-gallon water tank
What we love:
- There’s a choice of four different fragrances
- It has four fan speeds to choose from
- There are no buttons the unit itself
- The control tablet is informative and easy to use
We don’t like this as much:
- Weighs 25 lbs
- Replacement filters are expensive
- Create a Spa Experience in Any Room | H13 True HEPA 99.97% Filtration | Covers 600 Sq Ft
- Air Purifier | Humidifier | 16 Soundscapes | Scent Tray with 4 Options | Wireless Control Tablet
- Substantial carbon filter with carbon pellets to maximize removal of toxic odors and formaldehyde
- Attractive, Slim Design | Surprisingly Quiet | Easy to Maintain
- Sleep Mode | Filter Replacement Indicator | Four Fan Speeds
4. Brondell Revive
The Revive from Brondell isn’t trying to disguise itself as anything other than a solid purifier-humidifier combo. Its control panel sits on top so you can easily change fan speed, modes, and engage the timer. It will also indicate the current humidity level between 3 categories, dry, comfort, and humid.
There are no fancy soundscapes or scented fusions, but the Revive does come with a dual True HEPA filter to take in twice the amount of air combined with an activated carbon filter to help get rid of any nasty odors as well as VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds). The Revive prides itself on evenly distributing humidity so there’s no concentration around the unit which can cause damage to furniture.
Brondell Revive Specifications
- It utilizes 3 filters, a dual True HEPA, active carbon filter, and a humidifier filter
- If you need it to help with allergies we’d suggest using it in an area up to 376 sq. ft, for regular use, a room up to 627.5 sq. ft
- Brondell suggest a filter change every 12 months
- This unit can get up to 64 dB on its highest speed which is the loudest of the 7
- It weighs 20 lbs
- The tank holds just under 1 gallons of water
What we love:
- The mist it produces is invisible
- It has a digital display for the timer
- It has an allergy setting
- You can turn all the lights off for night use
We don’t like this as much:
- Doesn’t look as good as some models
- Its smart sensors doesn’t adjust the fan speed
- REVIVE YOUR HOME: Don’t just filter your air, refresh it with the Brondell Revive air purifier and humidifier. Adding moisture to filtered air can help relieve allergy symptoms, stuffy nose and sinus congestion. Helpful to relieve dry skin and reduce asthma symptoms by clearing mucous from airways. Super-efficient evaporative humidification makes for a more consistent humidity level and won’t over-saturate the immediately-surrounding area.
- TWICE THE AIR, HALF THE TIME: With a dual suction system the Revive is able to move through more air faster than comparable sized machines. Moving air through dual True HEPA filters, that remove 99.97% of particulates and allergens larger than 0.3 microns, makes your air cleaner and fresher so you can breathe easier. Dual intake also creates better airflow, the Revive will refresh the air in a 627sf room 3 times every hour.
- ACTIVE CARBON AND SPECIALIZED FILTERS: The Granulated Carbon Filter traps and removes odors, harmful gases, and VOCs. The Off-Gassing Reduction Filter effectively removes invisible substances like formaldehyde and VOCs that contribute to “Sick House Syndrome” and can cause health and respiratory issues. Other Specialized Filters are available for purchase separately.
- EVAPORATIVE HUMIDIFICATION: With the Evaporative Humidification Method, the water particles used to humidify the room’s atmosphere are small and light-weight. The smaller particle size can travel through the air more easily and efficiently, providing an even humidity throughout the room. Evaporative Humidification is self-regulating, as the room’s atmosphere determines how much water evaporates from the humidifier into the air.
- PEACE OF MIND: For over 14 years Brondell has been making healthy home products using the highest-quality materials available. Brondell is focused on delivering a healthy home experience in every room of your house, with products that feature a unique blend of the latest technology and modern design. With Brondell you are making the best choice possible for overall product quality, features, value, and – most importantly – support.
5. Focus LS-AP350 PURA Max
The Focus LS-AP350 PURA Max is a unit fitting for larger rooms. With its 4-stage filtration system, the unit goes to work in reducing airborne pollutants like pollen, dust, mold spores, germs, and more. It even helps eliminate odors common in households such as cooking smells. The unit manages all these thanks to the pre-filter, fiber mesh filter, activated carbon filter, and HEPA filter. The HEPA filter allows the unit to capture and eliminate pollutants as small as 0.3 microns.
Other than purifying the air, the unit will add helpful moisture to the air. It has a built-in cool-mist humidifier function. Even with this running, the air purifier can still work in the background. So, you can capture contaminants from the air while also raising humidity levels to help with issues like coughs and congestion. Keeping an eye on the unit is simple too as there’s an empty water tank indicator and a filter replacement indicator light.
The LS-AP350 cleans the air quickly to allow little ones to breathe easier in a child’s bedroom, especially at night or if they’re sick. Moreover, the unit features an optional lighting function that can act as a nightlight and an ultra-silent sleep mode function so that the unit produces little noise.
Focus LS-AP350 Specifications
Purifier Technology: true HEPA
Room Size Suitability: 700 sq. ft
Filter Life: 10 to 12 months
Noise Level: 35 to 50 decibels
Monthly Energy Consumption: $2.16
What we love:
- Comes with an air quality sensor
- Has an automode for switching on when it detects pollutants
- Child lock option
- Silent mode is very low – 35 decibels
We don’t like this as much:
- Water tank could be bigger – needs changing every 1-2 days
- Display could be better
- [ADVANCED FILTRATION]: 4-Stage Filtration System - Pre-Filter, Fiber Mesh Filter, Highly-Efficient Activated Carbon Filter and True HEPA Filter to capture allergens, dander, smoke, pet air, odor and dust particles, in addition to removing 99.97% of airborne contaminants as small as 0.3 micron
- [HUMIDIFIER FUNCTION]: Provide temporary relief for coughing and congestion while the air purifier continues to work in the background. Built-in humidity indicator will detect and display the reading on the screen. It is recommended to replace the Humidifier Filter every 10-12 months.
- [ULTRA SILENT SLEEP MODE, CHILD LOCK]: Continues to filter the air at a noise level as quiet as 35dB to give you a good night's sleep with the cutting-edge noise reducing fan blade design. Optional night light feature to create your ideal sleeping environment. Hold the lock button for 3 seconds to avoid unintentional operation by curious children and pets.
- [EASY, USER FRIENDLY DESIGN]: Built-in Replacement Indicator reminds you when you need to replace the filter so you don't need to stress about it. Use genuine Lifestyle by Focus filters to maintain the best performance. It is recommended to replace the filter every 6 months.
- [QUALITY]: CARB Certified - Compliance with California's standard for indoor cleaning device, ETL Listed.
6. BONECO H300
The last on this list is the BONECO H300. This Swiss made device is a great choice for those looking for a mid-range air purifier-humidifier combo with a few great features. When it says “3-in-1” it means it can be used as a humidifier, purifier, or both. Weighing only 12.1 lbs when it’s empty means you can easily move it between rooms.
You’ll notice that there’s no actual interface on the H300. Everything is controlled by an app on your smartphone which connects using Bluetooth. The simplistic app will let you change between modes, adjust fan speed, and set the timer. There is a semi-circle of lights on the front panel so you can easily see which function the unit is currently running on. If fragrance is on your list of needs, the H300 comes with a tray for essential oils.
BONECO H300 Specifications
- The unit comes with a filter that is designed to help with pollen allergies. If this doesn’t suit you, there’s a higher spec “comfort” filter available
- It’s designed for rooms up to 540 sq. ft
- They recommend that you change the filter every 12 months but the pre-filter can be hand washed
- At its lowest speed, this unit can kick out 28 dB and at its loudest can reach 51 dB
- There are six different modes and presets to use
- The water reservoir is on the bigger side of combos at 1.2 gallons
What we love:
- It has a low power consumption
- You can switch between filters
- It will automatically shut off when the water reservoir is empty
- Most of its parts can be cleaned in a dishwasher
We don’t like this as much:
- If the app fails settings can’t be manually changed
- Doesn’t look as nice as others
- 3-in-1 HYBRID - Operate as a humidifier, air purifier or both. High performance, adjustable hybrid provides optimal humidity and cleanses the air of contaminants simultaneously
- HIGH CAPACITY FILTER - Remove allergy-causing pollens, contaminants, and odors from your indoor spaces while improving air quality and well being through natural humidifying and air purification
- IDEAL PROFILES AND SETTINGS - Six performance levels and pre-sets, including Auto, Sleep, and Baby profiles provide optimal air quality for daily use, deep restful sleep or a pleasant restful environment for baby. Integrated aroma compartment can be used to diffuse your favorite essential oils and aromas
- EASY USE AND CLEAN UP - Easy control knob, real-time humidity measurement and control, and automatic shut-off make for convenient operation while dishwasher and washing machine safe components provide easy cleanup
- WIRELESS APP TECHNOLOGY - Convenient BONECO app offers intuitive user guidance and navigation, as well as real-time measurements and control of your humidifier and air purification system.
What are the functions of a humidifier compared to an air purifier?
A humidifier is designed to add moisture to the air. They are designed so that they can offer warm moisture or cool moisture. When you look at an air purifier, this device is designed to purify the air. It doesn’t release any moisture in the air. Instead, it pulls in air, removing various airborne pollutants depending on the filters inside, and releases cleaner air back out.
Both a humidifier and an air purifier can make the air easier and healthier to breathe, however. Humidifiers work to provide more humidity to the air, which can help render virus particles ineffective, making them useful during cold and flu seasons. Air purifiers remove pollen, dust, and even some airborne bacteria and viruses.
Does a humidifier help purify the air?
No, a humidifier on its own can’t exactly purify the air. It’s built to add moisture to the air to raise humidity levels. That doesn’t mean it can’t help though. A humidifier can still make the air around you more comfortable, especially if you are sick or suffering from allergies. Moisture can help clear out congestion, making it easier to breathe through your nose as well as helping your coughs become more productive. If you want to completely purify the air from airborne particles, however, then it’s best to get an air purifier instead of just using a humidifier.
Do air purifiers work better with a humidifier?
Since both air purifiers and humidifiers can improve indoor air quality, it makes sense that many would want to use the two together. This way, you can reap the benefits of them both with the air purifier eliminating common airborne ailments like allergens and the humidifier adding needed moisture to an otherwise overly dry room.
You can have an air purifier running alongside a humidifier, but you want to take care of the type you choose. Only an evaporative humidifier should run in the same room as an air purifier. This is because the visible mist humidifiers release dense mist that can cause some harm to the filters inside air purifiers. Combination units skip this problem by providing a unit that works seamlessly and incorporates features from both air purifiers and humidifiers.
What do Air Purifiers do?
Air purifiers use a powered fan to pull the air in from your room, remove pollutants through a series of filters, and replace it with clean air. The most effective air purifiers will contain a True HEPA filter which can trap pollutants as small as 0.3 microns.
What do Humidifiers do?
A humidifier’s job is to increase moisture to dry air in the home. Low humidity can be damaging to your health, causing dry skin, throat, lips, and can also cause shrinking and even cracking to wooden furniture.
What is a True HEPA Filter?
HEPA stands for High-Efficiency Particulate Arresting. A True HEPA filter is made up of thin glass fibers which have a 99.97% efficiency rate at capturing small airborne particles. They have become industry standard in air purification, even NASA has studied this type of filter and concluded them to be the best way to clean the air in the home.
Can you Use a Humidifier and Air Purifier at the Same Time?
There’s nothing to stop you from using both devices at the same time. It’s recommended that you use both in the same room as they’re both doing different jobs. As you’re here, you’re most likely looking to get both jobs done with the same device which will save you both money and floor space.
Do Humidifiers Clean The Air?
No. Humidifiers change the amount of moisture in the air. They typically don’t contain the filters needed to clean the air (True HEPA filter) as air purifiers have.
Which Air Purifier Humidifier Combo is best for you?
Using an air purifier-humidifier combo can make a drastic difference to the quality of the air you breathe in your home every day. The trick is to find the right unit to suit your needs. Make the device work for you. There’s no point spending a whole load of dollars on a large or high-tech unit when all you needed was a small one with minimal features and you don’t want to skimp out on a budget unit that won’t work as well for your massive room. We’ve covered a broad range of combos in this list so finding the right air purifier-humidifier should be a little easier.
- Budget/Smaller Rooms – OPOLAR EV01
- Mid-range Rooms – Dreval D-950
- Larger Rooms – Medify MA-440
Last update on 2022-05-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API