Updated 2020: The Coway AP-1009 is an air purifier from 10 years ago that used a combination of HEPA and pre-filter and was a great unit at the time for fairly large rooms. If you are looking for a replacement for this unit you will be glad to know that Coway is still going and have created a great air purifier with the Coway 400:
I always recommend that you always buy from Amazon.com as they have great return policy in case you have any issues.
- Coway Airmega 300S room air purifier is designed to accommodate room sizes up to 1, 256 square feet and cleans the air at least two times per hour when used as recommended. 628 square feet and cleans the air at least four times per hour when used as recommended.
- Coway Airmega Max2 filter—combined activated carbon and True HEPA filter—captures and reduces up to 99. 97% of 0. 3 micron particles in the air, including pollen, pollutants and other allergens. It also reduces volatile organic compounds by more than 99% and reduces fumes such as NH3 and CH3CHO. Includes washable and permanent pre-filter to catch larger dust particles.
- Coway Airmega’s pollution sensor communicates indoor air quality testing in real-time. The brightly colored LED ring lets you know how clean or dirty your indoor air is, every minute of the day.
- Coway Airmega has five fan modes: Smart, Sleep, Low, Medium and High. Noise level is nearly silent at lower speeds. Max noise at highest setting is 43. 2 dB.
- Coway Airmega is a smart, energy efficient air purifier with a three-setting smart mode to adapt to its surroundings. Fan speed automatically adjusts based on the room’s air quality and lighting conditions to improve air quality.
I have decided to include some old details about the AP-1009 but be aware that it is no longer for sale.
The Coway AP-1009CH Air Purifier is built in Korea by Woongjin Coway. The brand was introduced to the U.S. in 2007, and was rebranded by retailers like Lowes and Sears. Coway dominates the air purifier market in Korea, claiming 40% of sales there. The AP-1009CH is a mid-market product at $279 and is sold by Amazon, Walmart, and AirPurifiersAmerica.com. EPA Energy Star states that the Coway AP-1009CH has a clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 186.9 for dust, 149.9 for smoke, and 203.8 for pollen (for an average of 180). These rates make this air purifier suitable for small and medium rooms.
The AP-1009CH has a three-stage filter system and four fan speeds, from silent to turbo. The first filter is a washable pre-filter, which is followed by an activated carbon filter for removing odors. The main filter is a 3M HEPA filter that is designed to capture 99.97% of particles greater than 0.3 microns in size. The user manual suggests that when vacuumed regularly the HEPA filter can last up to three years. The pollution indicator is a lamp that goes from blue to red depending on air quality levels. The indicator resembles a mood ring.
This air purifier has a rounded, futuristic shape and is pitched toward women, with floral designs on the product literature. Complaints about the AP-1009CH air purifier have been few, with some users reporting a temporary odor when the machine is switched on for the first time. It is extremely quiet, at only 22.4 decibels, which is suitable for sleeping. It measures 25.8 x 14.3 x 8 inches in size and weighs 13 lbs. It stops automatically when the front cover is open or removed. This air purifier earned the EPA Energy Star rating, using only 37.8 watts on its highest setting. It comes with a one year warranty.
The bottom line is that even though the initial price may seem high, the AP-1009CH has low maintenance costs and energy consumption. It is very attractively designed and suitable for those who want clean air, but it is not powerful enough for those who have serious health issues. The washable carbon filter is fairly light-duty but can tackle odors fairly competently. It is stylishly designed, very quiet, and is considered a good value in terms of price and performance.
Last update on 2021-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API