Honeywell Electronic air cleaners include the F50, F50F, F300, F300A, F300E range of furnace based whole house purifiers. These electronic whole-house air cleaners work by connecting your home’s central heating furnace/system.
You will also want to look at our full list of the best Honeywell air purifiers [recently updated 2021]
Download the Honeywell manual here: http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-0756.pdf
If you are reading this page and looking to replace a unit, then you will be happy to know that Amazon.com still stock the F300 edition for easy replacement.
- Media post-filter provides enhanced filtration on select models
- Solid state power supply is self-regulating and maintains peak efficiency during a wide range of cell dirt loading conditions
- Low-profile door with test button to check system operation
- Helps filter efficiency-robbing "gunk" before it coats critical system parts
- Very low pressure drop
The Honeywell range of electronic air cleaners comes with a 2 stage filter system that cleans the air from your furnace outlet. We have also produced a guide to some of the best Honeywell air purifiers that are not a part of your HVAC system but can be moved from room to room.
1. The first stage is a pre-filter that removes most of the big particles such as lint, dust, and pet dander. If you don’t choose an air cleaner that comes with a pre-filter then you will put too much strain on the main unit. The main filter system should only be used to remove very tiny particles from 0.03 microns to 0.3 microns.
2. The Main filter system of the Honeywell electronic purifiers uses ionization technology to charge the surrounding particles. Honeywell states that their air cleaner will charge all particles that are bigger than 0.3 microns. Once each particle is charged then the Honeywell air cleaner will use charged oppositely charged plates to attract these particles and clean them from the air.
The Benefits of The Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner
- As the system uses an ionization technology then you will not have to pay for new filters or replace them.
- According to the manual, you will only have to wash the filter cells every 6-12 months. To be honest I doubt this a lot and will talk about this later!
- The manual states the electronic air cleaner will remove 99% of airborne particles however it does not say the size of these particles.
- Honeywell provides a 10-year guarantee for the coil and a 5-year guarantee for the rest of the air cleaner.
The Downside of the Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner
- Ionization technology will attract dust and give it weight but without suitable secondary filters such as a HEPA, they can not all be removed from the air.
- This Honeywell air cleaner only uses ionization so it will be inefficient at picking up the very smallest of air pollutant particles such as bacteria and viruses. 90% of air particles are bigger than 0.3 microns but the Honeywell range of whole house purifier is only able to pick up particles bigger than 0.3 microns.
- We have found that ionization purifiers become very inefficient as their filter cells become dirty. We often recommend cleaning them at least once a week rather than the stated 6 months by Honeywell.
- Whole-house air cleaners are notoriously bad at cleaning your home’s air. The problem comes down to air always following the path of least resistance.
Conclusion: Choosing to replace your old F300 Electronic air cleaners might be great if you are looking to replace an existing system but if you don’t have that system in place then we would recommend going for something more portable that uses HEPA technology as it has been proven again and again to provide significant value when compared to an ionizer based system.
If you are interested in cleaning your air and not investing in something like the Honeywell electronic air cleaner then check out the current air purifiers we currently recommend (all available in 2021 via Amazon.com):Table setup not completed.
Last update on 2021-07-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API