If you’ve done any kind of research before buying an air purifier, you’ll probably recognize the Blueair Blue Pure 411. Here at HouseFresh, we’ve featured this unit as part of our recommendations such as Best Air Purifiers For Traffic Pollution, Best Air Purifiers For Home Office, and Best Air Purifiers Under $200.
Our Verdict: If your budget isn’t the highest but you still want fresh, clean air for you and your family, you should seriously consider Blueairs’ Blue Pure 411. This funky little purifier contains a 3-stage filtration system that combats against odors, VOCs, smoke, pollen, pet dander, and dust down to 0.1 microns in size.
I wanted a unit that could easily be moved from bedroom to bedroom without taking up too much space like my larger Medify MA-40 which takes care of my living room.
- Purifier Technology: Pre Filter/HEPASilent/Activated Carbon
- Room Size Suitability: 190sqft.
- Filter Life: 6 months
- Noise Level: 17 dB to 46 dB
- Monthly Energy Consumption: $5 to $7 each year
When you think about air purifiers you probably picture a big white box with a fan, the Blue Pure 411 is so much more when it comes to design.
To start, its cylindrical body wouldn’t look out of place in a sci-fi movie about the future. The top ⅓ is the fan and control button whilst the whole rest of the purifier is all filters boasting a 360-degree intake, unlike other “box-like” air purifiers. Blueair hasn’t wasted any space with a large casing or grill, but this does mean you have to handle it with a bit more caution. Don’t go squeezing the filter as it will damage easily.
My 411 came with the original blue pre-filter but you can buy different colors online. It rolls on/off like a tight sock and covers the other filters.
- Genuine Blueair Replacement Pre-filter in Crystal Pink color for the Blue Pure 411+ air purifier; not compatible with standard 411 model
- Colorful fabric pre-filter extends the life of the primary filter, catching large particles such as dust, lint, pollen and pet hair
- Vacuum the exterior of the fabric pre-filter to remove visible dust and dirt as often as you'd like
- Designed for reuse, when the pre-filter requires a deeper clean, wash on a gentle, low-temperature cycle in the washing machine
- Five pre-filter colors are available in Diva Blue, Buff Yellow, Crystal Pink, Lunar Rock, and Dark Shadow
If you happen to be a technophobe or simply like minimalism, the 411 couldn’t be simpler to use.
Its one-button operation means you don’t need to find your way around a console or read the instructions of use. Simply press the big, central button once to turn onto the first speed setting.
Press again for speed setting two.
And again for the top speed.
The three lights indicate which setting you’re currently on. The lights dim after a while so they’re not intrusive to sleep, although I think it would be better if they turned all the way off.
The 411 houses a three-part filtration system consisting of a washable fabric pre-filter, a HEPASilent filter, and an activated carbon filter that takes care of those unwanted household odors like cooking, pets, and pooping.
You may have heard about HEPA filters, they are the industry standard for air purification nowadays. They capture 99.97% of particles down to 0.3 microns (basically the size of dust) which will leave your air fresh and allergen-free. Blueair has taken this technology and advanced upon it for the Blue range. They champion their version which they’ve called HEPASilent. This basically means it uses two filters in one so it doesn’t need to work as hard, meaning less energy is used and less noise is produced.
Within days I noticed how much dust the pre-filter had collected. I was shocked, to be honest, I like to think I keep a clean house. This was a strong indicator that it’s doing its job better than I expected. When you get this build-up simply remove it and put it straight in the wash.
Full replacements are easy to come by, at the time of writing they cost around $22 from amazon. If you use your 411 for 8 hours a day, you will probably need to replace the filter every 6 months. Not bad for all that pollutant-free air if you ask me.
- Blueair Combination Particle Carbon Replacement Filter compatible with Blue Pure 411, 411, MINI, and 411 Auto air purifiers
- Genuine Blueair replacement filter; Specifically designed to maintain premium performance over time and ensures your warranty remains intact
- Particle filter; Removes airborne particles such as pollen, pet dander, bacteria, mold, viruses, and dust from your indoor environment
- Activated carbon mesh; A layer of carbon mesh traps light household odors, smoke, chemicals, and volatile organic compounds (VOC)
- Recyclable, so the only thing you're adding back into the environment is clean air; Please check your local recycling facilities for availability
Due to the HEPAsilent technology, Blueair has built into the 411, this unit is one of the quietest on the market.
On its lowest setting, you will barely even notice it’s emitting around 17 dB. At first, I didn’t really trust it was actually doing anything on this setting as it was so quiet. But after having it on for an hour, you can tell that it is definitely doing its job, just super sneakily.
Switch it up to the second setting and you start to hear the fan at work. It’s by no means loud but in a silent room, you can hear it running. If you’re watching the television, chilling in the den, or listening to music whilst you cook, then you most likely won’t hear the 411 capturing nasty particles around you.
On its highest setting, the 411 can reach up to 46 dB. This is nowhere near a Motorhead concert but you will notice it in smaller rooms. I was using this speed in the bedroom when I was elsewhere so the air was pure for my arrival.
To give you an idea, I pitted the 411 against Ludwig Van to see who made the most noise.
Cost of Running:
When energy prices move around as much as a motorized yo-yo, you want to know that the price of clean air isn’t going to bankrupt you. Luckily, most air purifiers are bound by energy standards which a large percentage of companies abide by.
Blueair is no exception, in fact, they do their utmost to make sure their units are as energy-efficient as possible. Hence improving their filters to work better on small speeds. Using my 411 for 8 hours per day will cost me around $5 to $7 annually. That’s nothing for the results it gives.
What I Love:
- In my opinion, it looks really cool. Not just a standard white box like the others
- The one-button control makes it so easy to operate
- The low annual cost means you can run it for longer periods of time if needed
- It has a 360-degree intake to capture particles from all directions
What I Don’t Like As Much:
- As it’s round, it doesn’t slot into the corner flush
- I would have preferred it to have a timer so I could leave it on without worry
Blueair is one of the most popular brands of air purifiers on the market and it’s easy to see why. The 411 doesn’t need to boast about the latest bells and whistles like wi-fi connectivity or cell phone app control. It’s there to do a job and to do it well.
As I wanted this unit for the bedroom, I knew I needed a smaller unit that was ultra-quiet. This is it. I don’t have to mess around with different settings or features, press one button and you’re away. It just so happens that my bedroom walls are blue so it matches up but having the option of different colors is a big plus.
The 411 is so easy to take apart to remove the pre-filter to wash and put back together again. There are no screws just a twist. When I removed it to put in the wash, I noticed how much dust it had collected from the air.
I’m so happy with this unit and the fact it’s extremely light to move from room to room. That’s all the bedrooms taken care of.
The filter will need to be replaced in six months so I’ll check back in with an update to see if my opinion has changed (although I don’t expect it will).
- 3 part filtration system captures 99 percentage of common airborne pm 2.5 pollutants such as allergens, odors, smoke, mold spores, dust mites and pet dander
- Activated carbon filter removes common odors caused by smoke, pets, cooking, dorm room smells and gases (VOCs) as well as smoke caused by wildfires
- Washable pre-filter captures large particles such as dust and pet hair and can be changed to match any decor. Dark blue and grey pre-filters are included and other colors can be purchased separately
- Quiet operation enabled by advanced filters that allow for a higher airflow at a lower noise level. Sound level: 17 – 46 decibel
- Designed for small to medium rooms between 100 square feet and 175 square feet. (AHAM rated at 161 square feet) make this purifier perfect for small bedrooms, offices, nurseries and dorm rooms. Air inlet: 360 degree
Last update on 2021-11-11 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API