At $30 over $100, the Levoit PUR131 is a bit of a steal for those looking to clean a medium sized room with features like auto-mode that are normally only on units for $200+
Our verdict: If you can find it in stock, the Levoit PUR131 is a great option for those looking to keep a medium sized room [around 350 sq ft] air clean. The inclusion of the auto mode which adjusts the fan speed based on how clean or dirty your air is a major positive considering these features are usually in much more expensive air purifiers.
I have been a long time user of the smallest Levoit air purifier on the market, the Core 300 but many of the rooms in my home are a little too big for this purifier so it takes a long time to clean the air and I end up going through filters a lot quicker than 6 months – which can get costly.
I have been a long time user of the smallest Levoit air purifier on the market, the Core 300 but many of the rooms in my home are a little too big for this purifier so it takes a long time to clean the air and I end up going through filters a lot quicker than 6 months.
If you don’t fancy reading my review of the Core 300, I was a big fan and it really changed my view on “cheap” air purifiers so I was excited to try a larger machine with the PUR131.
Levoit has been making waves in the air purifier market since it first arrived in 2017 and has developed a great reputation on Amazon for creating cheap units that still perform as well as more well-known brands.
TLDR: If you can find the Levoit PUR131 in stock and you have a room size of 500sqft, then this is the best performance air purifier you can get without spending more than $150.
- MAX Mode Power: Cleans a room up to 900 sq.ft in 1 hour, 500 sq.ft in 33 minutes. Maximum benefits 360 sq.ft at the Highest Fan Speed Level
- Smoke Eater and Odor Eliminators: With Huge Honeycomb activated carbon filter, True HEPA filter, Pre-filter, the purify efficiency is 30% higher and purify speed is 30% faster than other ordinary air cleaner, protect you from cats litter box and chain smokers.
- Ideal for Allergic People: Remove up to 99.97% of dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns from the air. Great Help with stuff nose by bringing you new fresh air
- Smart Auto Mode: With a cutting edge smart sensor, the air purifier can automatically adjust between 3 fan speed settings in response to real-time air quality readings.
- Rated by Energy Star to be one of the Best Energy-Saving air purifiers. only need to cost about $12 to $15 per year
- It’s less than $150 it ourperforms our Levoit core 300 in tests
- I like the simple touchscreen to use it.
- The onboard sensor is super accurate and means you can leave the unit on just for occassinal issues rather than all the time which saves electricity.
- Has standard sleep mode and 3 power modes..
- Filters contain both H13 HEPA and activated charcoal and are easily available via Amazon
- Timer mode so you can leave it on for 2, 4, 6 and 8 hours and it will automatically switch off
- Still underpowered for serious air quality issues.
- Does include App but requires signup and asks for a lot of permissions.
- No child lock and kids will be drawn to the lights!
We decided to use a vaporizer to compare how fast an air purifier can reduce the pollutants to an acceptable range based on the US EPA’s AQI score, we measure AQI score using the best air quality monitor available as of 2021.
The vapor produced by a vaporizer is a fairly low-level pollutant but will give us a simple way to compare different models of air purifiers.
At 6.13pm we introduced vapor into a large room with the door closed. We quickly saw our Huma air quality monitor showing an AQI score of 500 well over the unhealthy range of 150+
The readout from the monitor for the breakdown of air quality showed PM2.5 score of 93 and PM10 of 164 all ug/m3.
We then waited till the air quality monitor showed a score of 50.
It took less than 20 minutes to clean the air in this room which is a better performance than the Levoit 300 and has certainly been my experience using the Levoit Pur131 long term, it feels like it’s more powerful than the Levoit 300 which at only an extra $30 on the retail price this is likely a worth choice for most consumers.
How does it sound?
The above video shows the different settings from sleep mode to all of the others. I am very happy with the sounds at the lower power settings and don’t find them intrusive day today. The inclusion of the auto mode means that if used in a bedroom at night then it would only switch to on when needed which may be useful or potentially negative to people using them in rooms they sleep.
Levoit PUR 131 filter replacement?
This unit has been around a long time so there are a significant number of third-party filters available to buy which is great because currently, the ones from Levoit are out of stock across the US.
Below you can find the filters we recommend for the pure 131 which has two filters both activated charcoal and HEPA at around $15 per unit which is not bad in the filter world:
You should always check if filters are available as no one wants to end up with a great performing unit that can’t be used as there are no filter replacements after 6 months!
Even when I have been using this fairly constantly in a room larger than 350sq ft I am yet to change the filter for my PUR131 so going on for nearly 7 months – which is impressive. If I could see at least 9 months then this is a very cheap unit to run long-term.
- COMPATIBLE MODEL: Premium quality air filter compatible with Levoit LV-PUR131, LV-PUR131S, LV-PUR131-RF.
- HEPA FILTER: HEPA filters can remove large and airborne particles, including dust, pet dander, and fabric fibers.
- CARBON FILTER: Carbon Filter can reduces dust, pollen, gases and odors from cooking and smoke.
- EASY TO INSTALL: Simply remove the older and dirty filter and replace. For optimum performance, it is recommended to replace the HEPA Filter every 6 months , Carbon Filter every 3 months. Please remove the plastic bags before using.
- PACKAGE INCLUDE: 2*Ture HEPA Filters + 2 * Carbon Pre-Filters. If there are any questions please feel free to contact us, we are committed to offer the top quality products and promise a 100% high quality customer service guarantee.
Is the Levoit PUR131 air purifier right for you?
Obviously, your particular use case will depend on your situation. The team at Levoit is really clever with their pricing as they managed to produce a unit with top performance at a super affordable cost compared to most other air purifiers on the market. If all you can spend is $130 then the LEVOIT PUR131 is the best unit at this price point. If you want to spend more, there are better units out there but they come at a fairly big jump in price.
This air purifier is likely for someone not totally sold on the benefits so this is a great unit for those with little experience using it or fairly low-level air pollutants like vapor. But this unit is still too underpowered for something like tobacco smoke.
Last update on 2021-09-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API